Orchard Recovery Center has been designated an essential service.
We are open and accepting new admissions.
Due to the unprecedented COVID-19 pandemic restrictions, Orchard Recovery Center temporarily closed our doors at the end of March 2020 to restructure and implement the new pandemic health protocols. We made this decision to provide increased safety to clients, staff and our Bowen Island Community.
We re-opened on June 15th, 2020 and are accepting new admissions.
During our temporary shutdown we were proud to partner with Ceders at Cobble Hill and have continued that partnership after our re-opening.
This page explains some of the new protocols and measures that we have put into place to reduce risk and increase the safety for everyone.
All clients will be required to complete the on-line Provincial Health COVID-19 self-assessment screening test before admission. Please visit and complete the online COVID-19 screening.
- Clients are asked to practice physical distancing and/or self-isolate prior to admission.
- A telephone interview with family and/or client to determine health and safety risks, and to answer your questions, will take place before admission.
People at high-risk of having been exposed to COVID-19 are asked to self-isolate as there is a small chance you can spread germs in the days before you feel sick. This is called an incubation period, the time between being exposed to an infection and when you start to feel sick. BC Centre for Disease Control
COVID-19 can make anyone sick; however, people with specific health circumstances are at increased risk of more severe outcomes, including individuals:
- Age 65 and older
- With compromised immune systems
- With underlying medical conditions
Our intake specialists will ask about any health conditions that you might have.
Should the need arise, Orchard Recovery Center will follow Vancouver Coastal Health directives to safely transition a client out of treatment if there were to be a positive COVID-19 test. Once cleared by a doctor, the client would be welcome to return to treatment.
Please note that Bowen Island is a 20 minute ferry ride to West Vancouver, with ambulance service on island.
Please check what to bring on our admission page. We recommend a minimum of 4 washable 3 layer cloth face masks.
An Important Reminder
The Province of B.C. has declared two Public Health Emergencies:
Overdose Crisis and COVID-19 Pandemic
Stay Safe and Ask For Help.
- As a new precaution, all intakes will be provided with a surgical mask, COVID-19 screening, temperature check, oxygen saturation check and hand sanitizing in our covered outdoor entrance station prior to entering the building.
- Families are asked to remain in the outdoor courtyard until the client is admitted by the Orchard’s medical team.
- Further information or concerns can be relayed by telephone as needed.
As a designated Essential Health Care Service, residents with cold or flu like symptoms are provided on-site nasopharyngeal COPAN swab COVID-19 test, with priority turn around for results.
- All employees will remain home if they exhibit any cold or flu like symptoms. Employees who are sick will be tested at designated COVID-19 testing sites.
- No clients will be admitted with COVID-19 symptoms which are unrelated to detox and withdrawal.
- Clients in treatment who may later present with cold or flu-like symptoms will take part in self-isolation protocols which include on-site testing by an Orchard nurse.
During Your stay
- To maintain physical distancing we have reduced occupancy, removed excess seating, and altered some program delivery.
- Plexiglass partitions have been added to high traffic, staff to client areas.
- Changes to our food service have been implemented without compromising quality.
- Our onsite and private (over 2000 square foot) gym has equipment well spaced which follows recommended physical distancing guidelines.
- Extra hand and equipment sanitizing stations have been added to the fitness facility.
- Our outdoor swimming pool is chlorinated and follows strict testing and safety regulations laid out by Vancouver Coastal Health.
- We have increased our touch-less hand sanitizing stations at entrances to group rooms, office and dining areas.
- We have added additional signage, with reminders for hand washing, sneezing/coughing hygiene, social distancing, and as a reminder that we can break the transmission of any infectious disease by practicing these basic principles of self-care.
- We have increased our universal precaution and infectious disease control training for all employees.
- Family programming will be provided virtually on Saturdays.
- Extra time will be provided for calling and/or virtual visits with family.
The Orchard is committed to reducing risk and increasing safety while continuously updating COVID-19 protocols based on current directives from the Federal and Provincial government, as well as our health authorities. Up to date information will be openly communicated to clients throughout their stay. Client feedback is encouraged.
Our clients often tell us that being a safe distance away from the city congestion provides peace of mind, a breath of fresh air, and an easing of anxiety.
2020 Strategic Plan
Our 2020 Strategic plan focuses on client and staff safety amid the COVID-19 pandemic. In addition to the extensive safety protocols implemented, we are adding new outdoor seating and entertainment areas.
- Newly built covered outdoor heated lounge with comfortable seating at Admin site
- Outdoor fire bowl at the residence
- Coming soon, 2nd outdoor heated lounge at residence
- New layout and design of our private fitness center
- Longer season for our outdoor swimming pool April to Thanksgiving
We continue looking at ways to improve the Orchard client experience with health and safety at the forefront of every decision.