After completing 42 days in Primary Care treatment, our clients have the option to extend their stay and complete our 90 day program. Choosing this important next step provides the opportunity to deepen the recovery experience and integrate recovery into day to day life.
NOTE: At the current time due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic we are unable to offer our extended care program.
Our Extended Care program is a supportive environment where the clients learn to become accountable for decisions that will shape their lives. Our Sober Living house on Bowen Island is what is known in the recovery community as second stage housing.
Life in Extended Care combines a safe sober living environment with the Orchard’s Intensive Outpatient Program. Programming takes place both on island as well as in our Outpatient office in West Vancouver. This allows clients to begin to build resiliency as they slowly explore what life is like outside of the safety net of Bowen Island, offering a more delicate transition after completing a Primary Care residential program.
Our Extended Care Curriculum Includes:
- Weekly individual therapy sessions with designated counsellor
- Weekly individual recovery coach sessions
- 10 hours of group counselling each week
- Continued access to the Orchard’s medical team, which includes our psychiatrist, doctors, and nurses
- Completion of 12 step workbook with designated Orchard recovery coach
- Complimentary access to weekend Family Program seminars and group therapy
- Continued access to the Orchard’s fully equipped gym, seasonal pool, and alumni dinners
- Sunday evening family-style dinner with all Extended Care clients
- Monthly Alumni Day programming with Primary Care clients and Orchard Alumni
- Daily mutual support meetings (Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, Cocaine Anonymous, Marijuana Anonymous, Codependents Anonymous, etc) of your choice
- Continued Art Therapy, Music Therapy, and additional Nutrition classes
- Weekly yoga class and mindfulness meditation
- recovery and lifestyle goals
- Weekly cooking classes, and seasonal gardening workshops
- Random drug testing, and daily alcohol monitoring using Soberlink technology
- Exploration of the local hiking trails as well as excursions to encourage sober fun
- Flexible lengths of stay (post 90 days)
Extended Care clients have the added benefit of completing Steps 6-12 of a 12 Step Program. The Extended Care program is especially effective because it requires clients to find a sponsor, as well as find an AA/NA home group, which are essential to maintaining accountability and sobriety after leaving.
Extended Care is ideal for anyone wishing to continue living in a safe environment surrounded by nature, while incorporating the theoretical models and core beliefs from the Primary Care program into “real life.” Featured topics include Relapse Prevention and Aftercare Planning, Boundaries and Communication, Coping with Anxiety, Developing Self-Esteem, and Life Skills.
With our award-winning clinical team and evidence-based programs, primary care at the Orchard provides the foundation for personal success.
Upon intake our board-certified Addiction Medicine specialists design a personalized detox protocol in keeping with your history. The withdrawal process typically takes three to seven days and is monitored by our nurses, support team and doctors.
Entire families can be impacted by addiction, and the Orchard staff appreciates the important role family members play in the recovery process. Rebuilding trust, strengthening relationships and developing new communication skills are fostered through weekly education and group process support.